City of Rott
The story begins after the Earth's water supply has been infected by a strange parasite known as Rot Worms. Rot Worm eggs were delivered by rain, and there's no place on the planet that is free from the Rot Worms. Once hatched, they begin feasting on human flesh, turning their hosts into mindless zombies.
The film revolves around Fred, an elderly man with a walker, which he uses as a weapon, and searching for a pair of new shoes. Fred appears to be losing his mind, he believes his walker speaks to him and he constantly sees hallucinations.
While searching for the shoes, an injured nurse appears to Fred, in attempt to find an antidote for the infection. With no knowledge of one, the nurse quickly becomes a zombie, forcing Fred to flee through an infested mall. Outside, he encounters Jon, a skilled shooter who decides to help Fred escape the city via car. However, Fred forgets his walker, and is forced to leave the car to find it. Now, Fred has begun to believe his shoe is speaking to him. After discovering his walker is gone from the spot where he left it (unknown to Fred, the nurse took it), Fred decides to leave town on a motorcycle.
The motorcycle runs out of gas on a bridge, causing Fred to be surrounded on both sides by zombies. Fortunately, he manages to recover his walker (which resumes its role as the object speaking to him) and kill numerous zombies, though he is unable to finish off the nurse. He leaves the bridge due to a hallucination of shoes and encounters another survivor, a mysterious old man carrying a bottle of prune juice. Despite saving him, the man flees from Fred.
Deciding to rest on a park bench, Fred discovers a newspaper detailing a new type of parasite known as Brain Worms that eat any intake of food and eventually eat the brain of the host if food is not available. With the symptoms of partial memory loss, rapid age progression, confusion, hallucinations, and hearing voices, it becomes evident that Fred was infected by one, despite his refusal to admit it. Nevertheless, he becomes a zombie, presumably from the blood that got on him during the fight on the bridge. The next day, Jon, who was unknowingly infected with a Brain Worm when Fred patted him on the back, discovers the now infected Fred. Jon attempts to kill him, but is surrounded and eaten by the zombies. Before he dies, he gives Fred the finger.
Eight days later, a man named Benjamin has begun to look for his wife in the city with his two sons and another man named Larry, the four using a van to store goods. While Benjamin has one his sons pick up doughnuts, Larry is attacked and accidentally shot by the other son. Afterwards, it is revealed that the nurse was Benjamin's wife and she left the group in an attempt to help others. Benjamin attempts to bring her back despite her infection, but is attacked and killed, while another zombie decapitates his wife.
Meanwhile a man named Hac is sent by his bitten friend Mac to find an antidote. Mac has begun to believe that the old man carries the cure in his prune juice bottle. Though both Hac and Mac die before learning the truth, Mac's belief turns out to be correct. The bottle of prune juice carries an antidote known as "Zombifate" which the old man constantly consumes. While a Sanitation Crew begins to wipe out the zombies, Fred catches up to the old man who informs him the Rot Worms infest 95% of the brain and tells him to use the other 5%. Fred manages to overcome the infection and save the old man from the zombies, but the old man dies suddenly. Fred begins to feast on his corpse, but the Zombifate inside the old man's body begins to force the Rot Worms out, causing Fred to collapse and die naturally.
After the film's credits, a man who trapped himself inside a box laughs about surviving the zombies, but has been infected by a Brain Worm.
City of Rott